Swift and devstack.

Hello,

I was meaning to do add the feature of launching the swift services in the foreground in a screen/tmux window' instead of in foreground but would like to gather ideas before implementing it. Currently for the Swift All in One we launch 4 (3 replicas and one hand-off) different services: account, container and object server,

On each service there is other daemons like container-sync *-updater *-auditor etc... which make a grand total of 68

I guess that's not very manageable to have it on a screen, I think to only bring on foreground the object servers proxy server since IMO they are the most useful ones for devs.

Another thing I want to implement is to add Swift as a back-end to Glance.

And one last thing, which make the thing a bit annoying when you want a devstack only to test swift is that currently it's very nova dependent, since these lines :

https://github.com/cloudbuilders/devstack/blob/master/stack.sh#L1100

would always get parsed no matter if you don't have any n-* services in there, which is not a big deal as add_nova_services is only creating file but it fails miserably on :

https://github.com/cloudbuilders/devstack/blob/master/stack.sh#L1404

(Swift need keystone and keystone need MySQL)

What do you think if I add a meta n-svc feature which get enabled only if one of the n- services has been activated ?

There is as well python-MySQLDB and python-migrate packages need to don't be just in nova but as well in keystone or when nova is not installed keystone would fail.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Chmouel.

Follow ups