Re: RHEL / CentOS - interfaces.template

Does anyone have any experience with https://fedorahosted.org/netcf/ (RH??)

Just from a little search that project seems to be oriented to do this (os agonistic net cfg)

It just seems to be missing a python api (at the moment).

On 2/14/12 10:48 AM, "Scott Moser" <smoser@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012, Leandro Reox wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Anyone already implemented networking injection to RHEL systems acting as a
> guest ? If no any plans to make it to Essex final ?

Before we go down the road of trying to write system network configuration
scripts for each potential guest OS, I'd suggest that its would be better
to either:
 a.) just accept that 'interfaces' is the openstack format and guests
     should need to read that.
 b.) create a OS agnostic interface configuration format.

While you may be looking at my email address and assuming that I think 'a'
is the right answer only to make it harder for anyone else.

However, the reason I dislike the current solution (or going down a path
of implementing population mechanisms for other operating systems) is
 1.) you cannot possibly support all possible operating systems
 2.) injecting files assumes host OS knowledge (or guestfs knowledge) of
     the guest filesystem
 3.) specific files indicates that the host can somehow determine which
     format the guest is expecting (or also unacceptable, only allowing
     this configuration for one OS per cloud).
 4.) injecting files via overwriting them is lossy and possibly
     destructive to a guest (imagine other vpn routes inserted there or
     something else more advanced).

I would *much* rather there be a "openstack networking configuration file
format" that was put into config_drive if dhcp was not sufficient.

Then, the guests are just made to read that information that is in a
standard, easily documetable format and respond accordingly.