Re: Howto Nova setup with HA?

For some reason it appears that Darren's message is late in making it
into my inbox, so I'm replying to Tristan's response instead.

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM, i3D.net - Tristan van Bokkem
<tristanvanbokkem@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Agreed, but you're talking about HA at a different layer - within the
> applications that will sit on top of the cloud infrastructure. Whilst
> that's absolutely valid, and a message that needs to be spread more
> amongst those designing apps for the cloud, it's not addressing the
> concerns of the OP.
>
> We still need to be thinking about HA of the cloud infrastructure
> components themselves, so that there are less failures for the app
> designers to have to tolerate in the first place.

True. There are two different layers to be addressed here, and I
believe HA of the cloud infra components is a pretty crucial one to
address.

That being said -- and excuse me for beating the Pacemaker drum again
-- the issue of sites (multiple cloud "cells", if you will, that
communicate automagically, maintain a distributed consensus about site
availability, and fail over automatically) is also solved in that
stack. The relevant project is named booth; for those who are
interested, the SUSE docs team has whipped up some useful
documentation for that:

http://doc.opensuse.org/products/draft/SLE-HA/SLE-ha-guide_sd_draft/cha.ha.geo.html

This is an automatic site-failover mechanism based on site "tickets",
the state of which is maintained via a simple Paxos cluster (for those
into Ceph/RADOS, this will sound familiar). Pacemaker then can simply
fire up or shut down resources (OpenStack services) based on site
availability. Third-party arbitration is supported.

Hope this is useful.

Cheers,
Florian

--