Re: understanding ephemeral and persistant volumes

is it too complicated or too simple to be answered on the ML?

Le 23/02/12 16:46, Michaël Van de Borne a écrit :
Hi all,

I'd like to understand how things go with ephemeral and persistant volumes. For instance, say that my gold images are stored in a Swift storage network, connected to Glance.

When I ask Nova to boot the VM,
- will the disk image stay in Swift storage?
- will the physical compute node copy the image from Swift to its local filesystem? - will ephemeral volumes be stored on local compute node filesystem whereas persistant drives be stored in Swift?

According to these answers, I'll know if the compute nodes of my cloud should have disks attached or if no data will ever be stored on these nodes even when VMs are running.

maybe this is documented somewhere, but I didn't find clear information about ephemeral and persistant volume management?

thank you,

Michaël