Re: understanding ephemeral and persistant volumes

This is how it happens in trunk now, but I cannot remember how it was in Diablo.

I had left-over directories when the instances were not properly terminated, but otherwise they clean up nice.

________________________________

From: Lorin Hochstein [mailto:lorin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:00 PM
To: George Mihaiescu
Cc: Michaël Van de Borne; openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Openstack] understanding ephemeral and persistant volumes

On Feb 28, 2012, at 1:03 PM, George Mihaiescu wrote:

So by default the disk of an instance is basically stored on the local filesystem of the server where the instance is running (in "/var/lib/nova/instances/instance-0000000X/disk"), and it's called ephemeral because when you terminate the instance the entire directory "/var/lib/nova/instances/instance-0000000X" gets deleted and the virtual disk is gone, but the base image in the "_base" directory is not touched.

Does this actually happen in diablo? I have a lot of /var/lib/nova/instances/instance-0000000X directories on my system even though the associated instances were terminated a long time ago.

Take care,

Lorin

--

Lorin Hochstein