Re: eventlet weirdness

Ok - I'll work with Jay on that.

-----Original Message-----
From: Vishvananda Ishaya [mailto:vishvananda@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 02 March 2012 19:27
To: Day, Phil
Cc: Jay Pipes; openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Openstack] eventlet weirdness

On Mar 2, 2012, at 7:54 AM, Day, Phil wrote:

>> By "properly multi-threaded" are you instead referring to making the nova-api server multi-*processed* with eventlet greenthread pools in each process? i.e. The way Swift (and now Glance) works? Or are you referring to a different approach entirely?
>
> Yep - following your posting in here pointing to the glance changes we back-ported that into the Diablo API server.   We're now running each API server with 20 OS processes and 20 EC2 processes, and the world looks a lot happier.  The same changes were being done in parallel into Essex by someone in the community I thought ?

Can you or jay write up what this would entail in nova?  (or even ship a diff) Are you using multiprocessing? In general we have had issues combining multiprocessing and eventlet, so in our deploys we run multiple api servers on different ports and load balance with ha proxy. It sounds like what you have is working though, so it would be nice to put it in (perhaps with a flag gate) if possible.

>> Curious... do you have a list of all the places where sleep(0) calls were inserted in the HP Nova code? I can turn that into a bug report and get to work on adding them...
>
> So far the only two cases we've done this are in the _sync_power_state and  in the security group refresh handling (libvirt/firewall/do_refresh_security_group_rules) - which we modified to only refresh for instances in the group and added a sleep in the loop (I need to finish writing the bug report for this one).

Please do this ASAP, I would like to get that fix in.

Vish