Re: Network unreachable error - quantum

Hi Jay,

I would recommend for such issues, you are welcome to open up a question on
launchpad answers - https://answers.launchpad.net/quantum
That way it will easier for folks to track the history of the issue.

Rest of the comments inline.

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 3:12 PM, jay_s_b <jay_s_b@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
> Using quantum with openvswitch.
> I am able to launch VM . NOT using dhcp (not setting --quantum_use_dhcp).
> Still, cannot ping the VM. The console output is
> udhcpc (v1.17.2) started
> Sending discover...
> Sending discover...
> Sending discover...

This is DHCP Client on the Guest VM, '--quantum_use_dhcp' just allows for
existing nova-network  DHCP service to plugged into the virtual Quantum
network.
If you are using a VM image where IP injection isn't working and the VM has
a DHCP Client configured, you will see the DHCP Client send out DHCP
discovers

No lease, forking to background
> starting DHCP forEthernet interface eth0  [  OK  ]
> cloud-setup: checking
> http://169.254.169.254/2009-04-04/meta-data/instance-id

I believe you are using meta-data service, a copy of your nova.conf on
OpenStack Controller, nova-network node and nova-compute node would be
helpful.

> wget: can't connect to remote host (169.254.169.254): Network is
> unreachable
> cloud-setup: failed 1/30: up 16.75. request failed
> wget: can't connect to remote host (169.254.169.254): Network is
> unreachable
> cloud-setup: failed 2/30: up 17.91. request failed
> Why is VM boot using dhcp when quantum dhcp is not used?

I referenced the reason for this above.

> TAP device is correctly created. I do not any errors in the logs of
> quantum/nova-network/openvswitch.

I believe, if you statically configure IP on the instance which didn't
receive IP, you should be able to test pings, but thats
a guess based on what I can make out from your email.