Re: [OpenStack Foundation] Foundation Structure: An Alternative

Josh,

Good work on the alternate proposal.

Mark, Jonathan,

Thanks for the quick response.

I tend to prefer a simpler approach to membership classes and I like the
idea of only having one corporate class. The only real difference between
the associate member and the strategic member is the amount of money they
put in and that paying more money guarantees them a position on the board.

Here's another idea: What if we decouple the fundraising from the board
membership? I think there are enough benefits that companies would want to
pay the foundation for like:

- Logo and trademark usage
- Access to benchmarks, best practices, and other intelligent materials
- And most important, IMO, having the foundation defend the member in cause
of a legal threat or patent issue

Most companies building businesses around OpenStack would pay for
protection.

Then, you can decide who is on the Foundation board without thinking about
how much they're corporation paid and rather elect people based on value
and merit.

Thoughts?

- Ben