Re: Swift concept architecture

On Mar 11, 2012, at 12:16 AM, Dmitry Ukov wrote:

> Hi all,
> I want to introduce some ideas about Swift.
>
> Let’s assume we have huge amount of data stored in Swift (e.g. 10Pb). This data are dynamically changed by users. So we need to reduce network load caused by replication and intensive data uploading/downloading.
> My proposal is to create so called “Ring of rings”. For example we have 2 data centers with deployed Swift. We can distinguish some nodes for serving “Ring of rings” (actually we need only Proxy Servers).

<snip>

> So we can use Ring to determine data center to send http request to.
>
> What do you think about this scheme?
> Feedback from the OpenStack/Swift community would be very appreciated.

I think these are great ideas to explore. Solving a multi-DC deployment is a goal we have talked about for a long time.

There is another thread on this mailing list from John Leach that is talking about solving this same problem, but it uses tiered zones in a single ring instead of a "ring of rings". While conceptually similar (indeed it may just be semantic differences), I think the tiered zones approach is a better path to explore, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on that thread.

--John