Re: XCP + OpenStack

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 03/13/2012 10:55 PM, Todd Deshane wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Eduardo Nunes <eduardo.kettz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I read all the docs about it but i dont get it, what release shold i use, i
>>> run the xcp under the linux or i run linux under the xcp?
>>
>> You actually have two options for XCP. You can install XCP as a distro
>> itself (CD/PXE install) by downloading the ISO from
>> http://xen.org/download/xcp/index.html.
>>
>> The second option is that you can get an XCP-like system that includes
>> the XCP XAPI toolstack by installing the xcp-xapi package on Ubuntu or
>> Debian by following these instructions
>> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Project_Kronos
>
> Todd,
>
> I'd like to point out that these instructions are really outdated, and
> that the packaged version in Debian SID works a way better than using
> the Citrix repositories that haven't been updated since quite some time.

Looks like the Debian repos on Xen.org are out of date. I'm not sure
if the intention was to drop them once the packages got into SID or if
they would be staging/unstable packages that existed before they got
picked up by SID...(adding Mike and Jon to the CC to clarify). The
wiki does include adding a line for the Debian experimental repo, so
the packages in it would be used instead of the Xen.org repo since
they are newer.

> I don't know for Ubuntu though, but I suspect it should be the same.
> Maybe you know better, and can tell me what the status is in Ubuntu?

There is an xcp-xapi package (and its dependencies) in 12.04 universe.

The Ubuntu PPA is up-to-date and is the right place for Ubuntu users
that want the latest packages going forward. I believe the packages in
the PPA are always a couple weeks ahead of the packages that are in
Ubuntu universe.

Once Ubuntu 12.04 and Debian Wheezy go stable we'll want to update the
wiki to be explicit about what is in the distros and what is not, but
I think we'll always have development packages that will be available
for testers/early adopters in Debian SID and the PPA. I'm assuming
that stable packages will be maintained in Wheezy and that development
packages will be maintained in Debian SID right?

Thanks,
Todd

--
Todd Deshane