Re: Swift: NAS or DAS?

Hey Michael,

*Is there a specific reason why a NAS wouldn't be a good choice to build a
> swift infrastructure?*

Why would that make sense to you?

The idea of Swift is to distribute the files over a large amount of
"inexpensive" servers and prevent data loss by keeping multiple copies.
Whereas in a NAS you typically have fat servers with lots of disks with a
RAID on top of them to take care of the data loss.

Using NAS underneath Swift would therefore in my opinion make no sense at
all. On the other hand, using Swift as a building block for a NAS system
would. (although that would require a file system, since Swift is purely
object based).

Kind regards,
Frederik Van Hecke

*T:*  +32487733713
*E:*  frederik@xxxxxxxxx
*W:* www.cluttr.be

*This e-mail and any attachments thereto may contain information which
is confidential and/or protected by intellectual property rights and
are intended for the sole use of the recipient(s)named above. Any use
of the information contained herein (including, but not limited to,
total or partial reproduction, communication or distribution in any
form) by persons other than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited.
either by telephone or by e-mail and delete the material from any
computer. Thank you for your cooperation.*