Re: Please stop the devstack non-sense!

Hi Thomas,

I think devstack has done a lot for the developer's use-case, but I believe
we should also have a official / semi-official project that does some sort
of packaging to help the production use-case.  I've proposed a summit
discussion: http://summit.openstack.org/sessions/view/26

The background: I want a semi-production deployment, but as a developer I
still want to be able to edit the code (which makes packages inconvenient).
 devstack is orientated towards e.g. wiping the databases.

I'm hoping that all the various OS packagers can work together, or at least
tell us what sucks.  As a community, we should solve these problems once,
and the OpenStack project shouldn't treat them as externalities.  I've been
doing some initial coding here:
https://github.com/justinsb/openstack-simple-config

The first use case I'm trying to solve is "single node installation of
OpenStack" that is as easy as possible, but also isn't painting the user
into the corner.  Think "apt-get openstack", then the user finds they like
it and grows to a 4 node cluster, all the way up to a 100 node cluster.  So
it uses KVM, FlatManager, config drive injection, Postgresql, etc. - I'm
afraid it is still quite "opinionated"!  I have Keystone, Glance & Nova
installing.  I'm using supervisord to avoid any OS dependencies/flamewars,
but I would imagine that any OS packager could move it to their preferred
init.d flavor easily.  Swift is next on my list - I was facing the problem
that the number of replicas isn't changeable, though I have a patch for
that now.

If you'd like to work together, I'd love to collaborate (and that holds for
anyone doing packaging).  I'm hanging out in #openstack-packaging

Justin