Re: Caching strategies in Nova ...

This is precisely my concern.

It must be brought up that with Rackspace Cloud Servers, nearly
all client codes routinely submit requests with a query parameter
"cache-busting=<some random string>" just to get around problems with
cache invalidation. And woe to the client that does not.

I get the feeling that once trust like this is lost, a project has
a hard time regaining it. I'm not saying that we can avoid
inconsistency entirely. Rather, I believe we will have to embrace
some eventual-consistency models to enable the performance and
scale we will ultimately attain. But I just get the feeling that
generic caches are really only appropriate for write-once or at
least write-rarely data. So personally I would rule out external
caches entirely and try to be very judicious in selecting internal
caches as well.