Re: Generic method to make the OpenStack services daemonize / run as different user

On Mar 27, 2012, at 11:57 AM, Martin Gerhard Loschwitz wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> i'm looking for a generic way to make the OpenStack components (keystone-all,
> glance-api / glance-registry, nova-*) daemonize. I had expected the scripts
> to have such an option out of the box, but apparently that isn't so. I don't
> want to use upstart (as that is Ubuntu-specific) or start-stop-daemon (as
> that is mostly Debian-specific). Is there any recommended official method for
> this?

Most components do not support daemonization. There are countless tools for daemonizing and monitoring processes, so we didn't think it was useful to include our own with our own special syntax.  Swift is an exception: it has swift-init. There was also glance-control, but I think most packages are running it via some other process management tool.