Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:28:24 -0700
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Dashboard VNC Console failed to connect to server
From: sleepsonthefloor@xxxxxxxxx
To: lucianthomaz@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here are several flags that you must set on your compute host for a multi host deploy:

:option:`--vncserver_listen` - defaults to 127.0.0.1 This is the address that vncservers will bind, and should be overridden in production deployments as a private address. Applies to libvirt only. For multi-host libvirt deployments this should be set to a host management ip on the same network as the proxies.

:option:`--vncserver_proxyclient_address` - defaults to 127.0.0.1 This is the address of the compute host that nova will instruct proxies to use when connecting to instance vncservers. For all-in-one xen server domU deployments this can be set to 169.254.0.1. For multi-host xen server domU deployments this can be set to a dom0 management ip on the same network as the proxies. For multi-host libvirt deployments this can be set to a host management ip on the same network as the proxies.

:option:`--novncproxy_base_url=[base url for client connections]` - this is the public base url to which clients will connect. "?token=abc" will be added to this url for the purposes of auth. When using the system as described in this document, an appropriate value is "http://$SERVICE_HOST:6080/vnc_auto.html"; where SERVICE_HOST is a public hostname.
Suppose you have 2 servers, APISERVER and COMPUTESERVER:
APISERVER:public hostname = my.server.commanagement ip = 192.168.1.1
public ip = 172.24.4.1
COMPUTESERVER:management ip = 192.168.1.2
Your nova.conf con COMPUTESERVER would need the following flags:

novncproxy_base_url=http://my.server.com:6080/vnc_auto.html or novncproxy_base_url=http://172.24.4.1:6080/vnc_auto.html
vncserver_proxyclient_address=192.168.1.2vncserver_listen=192.168.1.2

Note that novncproxy_base_url references a public ip or hostname (so clients can connect), while the other flags use private ips.

For more info:https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/doc/source/runnova/vncconsole.rst