Question on wsgi rate limiting

Throughout the discussion on distributed rate limiting I've had the annoying feeling that I've heard this joke before.

Basically, are we looking for our keys under the street lamp because the light is good rather than looking for them
where they were lost?

Has anyone studied the effectiveness of rate limitations implemented at this layer. From my experience with rate
shaping discussions in IEEE 802.1 Data Center Bridging group I am concerned that the response time working this
far up the stack will preclude effective rate shaping.

Of course, if someone has studied this and shown it to be effective then this would be great news. The light is
Better under the street lamp.

Follow ups