Re: Limit flavors to specific hosts

I have some plans for being able to set arbitrary "capabilities" for hosts via nova.conf that you can use to build scheduler filters.

Right now, there are capabilities, but I believe we're only creating these from hypervisor stats.  You can filter on those today.  What I'm planning on adding is a way to specify additional keyname/value pairs in nova.conf to supplement the capabilities we build from hypervisor stats.  You could set things like this in your nova.conf:

--host_capabilities=instance_type_ids=1,2,3;keyX;keyY=something

etc.  Since capabilities are already passed to scheduler rules, you could add some basic filters that do:

if 'instance_type_ids' in capabilities and instance_type.id not in capabilities['instance_type_ids']:
    return False

Since host_capabilities are just arbitrary keyname/value pairs, you can pretty much add anything you want to --host_capabilities and then write some matching scheduler filter rules.

That's the basic idea, anyway.   The exact same behavior will apply to 'cells' and the cells scheduler as well.  (Except you'll have cells_capabilities=  somewhere (prob nova.conf for the cells service).

- Chris