Moving nova.rpc into openstack.common

Greetings,

There was a thread on this list a little while ago about moving the
notification drivers that are in nova and glance into openstack.common
since they provide very similar functionality, but have implementations
that have diverged over time.  Is anyone actively working on this?  If
so, please let me know.

For the message queue notifiers, nova uses nova.rpc to do the heavy
lifting.  Glance has notifiers written against the messaging libs
directly.  I think it makes sense to take the nova approach.  This would
mean moving nova.rpc into openstack.common before the notifiers can get
moved.

I have started looking at moving nova.rpc to openstack.common.rpc.  My
plan is:

1) Write a series of patches that reduces coupling in nova.rpc on the
rest of nova.

2) Submit changes needed to support this decoupling to openstack.common.

3) Once nova.rpc is sufficiently decoupled, move it to openstack.common.

While doing the above, I want to aim for the least amount of disruption
to the rpc interface as is practical.

While we're at it, is it time to drop nova.rpc.impl_carrot?  It is
marked as deprecated in Essex.  Is there any reason anyone would still
use impl_carrot over impl_kombu?

Thoughts?

Russell Bryant

Follow ups