Re: Best approach for deploying Essex?

On 04/03/2012 08:20 AM, Lillie Ross-CDSR11 wrote:
My question is, should I base our new installation directly off the Essex branch in the git repository, or use the packages that will be deployed as part of the associated Ubuntu 12.04LTS release?  With Diablo, I was forced to use packages from the ManagedIT PPA with additional Keystone patches to get a consistent, stable platform up and running.  Obviously, some of these problems were due to confusion caused by various documents describing different incarnations of Openstack, and not really knowing what was current and stable.  Especially the packages shipped with Ubuntu made assumptions about how Openstack was to be deployed that wasn't really apparent.

Hey Ross-

I can say that the Ubuntu precise packages have been kept relatively in-sync with each components' trunk git repository this cycle. We've made a concerted effort to do weekly snapshot uploads of all Openstack components into the Precise archive starting from the beginning of the Essex+Precise dev cycles. We've also maintained our own trunk PPA (updated continously) around which we center our testing efforts. Now that we're nearing the release of Essex, we've been ensuring the release candidates hit our archive as soon as they are released. As soon as Essex final hits, it'll be uploaded into Ubuntu and give any users who care the remainder of the Ubuntu dev cycle (~1 month) to test and identify issues before LTS ships.

Re: deployment assumptions. Last cycle, we were caught off-guard by Keystone's last-minute inclusion into Openstack core and the dependencies this introduced (dashboard especially) It's not that we were making assumptions about how Openstack Diablo should be deployed, just that there was no way we could shoe-horn a new component into the release so late in the game. This time around, a similar curve ball was thrown our way with the Keystone Lite rewrite, but we were able to get this sorted on our end relatively quickly to ensure pending security reviews and main inclusion processes for Keystone weren't blocked. We're making very few assumptions going into LTS and hope to provide as-close-to-pure Essex experience as any. I can only think of a few patches we're carrying, and there are only two default configuration files we ship that differ from those you'd find in the git repos [2]. Perhaps when we release Essex into Precise this/next week, we'll put some notes somewhere outlining any Ubuntu-specific changes for those who are interested.

Hope that helps, and of course we welcome your testing and bug reports!

-Adam

[1] We ship a default nova.conf that configures some Ubuntu defaults: defaults to libvirt compute, uses nova-rootwrap for sudo shell execution (requested by our security team), uses tgt iscsi initiator instead of ietd (tgt is supported in our main archive, ietd is not). Our default Keystone config defaults to the SQL catalog backend instead of the default templated file, though I think SQL catalog is the new default in folsom.