Re: OpenStack immaturity

+1000

I believe the nova team should make backporting essential bugs to a stable essex base and dealing with the upgrade issue the highest priority for the start (at least) of the Folsom cycle. We need people to deploy real systems using Essex. With regard to smooth upgrades, they won't happen if the issue is always punted to the end of a release cycle. The way to do this is to create a test very early in Folsom that demonstrates how a real large-scale style deployment can be upgraded to a new version containing no code changes. Any future change that breaks that test must be evaluated to compare the value of the change against whatever upgrade pain will be caused. In terms of real deployments, this issue scares me more than the fact that there are bugs. There will always be bugs. But we can't have it be tricky and risky to deploy the fixes.

 -David