Re: No official Diablo 2011.3.1 for oneiric?

Philipp Wollermann wrote:
> It's totally acceptable if Ubuntu chooses to handle their packages like this, providing a very stable and reliable base system - though as it is also the primary and kind of "official" platform for OpenStack deployments, I think it would be greatly appreciated if there would be an officially maintained PPA which contains the most up-to-date stable release of OpenStack for the latest version(s) of Ubuntu.
> Then, users themselves could choose whether to trust and track the official releases or stick to Ubuntu's releases.

The openstack-ppa team may well be introducing a stable/essex PPA that
will contain packages of the latest tip of that branch for Ubuntu 12.04
LTS. But that will be an automated PPA with no guarantee -- good for
testing but not so great for production purposes.

Any production-grade distribution of OpenStack (and a PPA is a form of
distribution) involves some editorial policy on the contents and some
extra upgrade testing, which the openstack-ppa team is not staffed to
deliver. There is room for other groups though: if any group wants to
have a shot at maintaining something Ubuntu-based that is less
bleeding-edge than openstack-ppa but still more fix-inclusive than
official Ubuntu packages, just go for it !

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack