[Doc] OpenStack doc web properties

Hi all -
Wanted to send a note out to let people know I'm listening to the various
difficulties finding accurate docs, and also provide my sense of the scope
of the docs for OpenStack.

I want to have a session at the Design Summit about the blossoming docs
sites but also discuss how to prune and de-dupe docs. Here are all the
"doc" properties - not that I own them all, but that they are locations
where people get info that can go out-of-date. I want to prioritize and
focus docs for the Folsom release and welcome your input. This info is
copied to this Etherpad: http://etherpad.openstack.org/folsomdocsplanning,
feel free to edit and add as you see fit.

__Admin guides__
Where: http://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals

What:
- docs.openstack.org
- Compute Admin manual
- Object Storage Admin manual
- Supporting projects such as identity and image management are shared
chapters inserted into each.
- Network connectivity (Quantum) Admin manual

Who:
Day-to-day administrators of OpenStack clouds (public and private)

How: Updated through the git/Gerrit review process.

__Install guides__
Where: http://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals
What: docs.openstack.org Compute Install/Deploy guide with identity, image
management, dashboard as chapters.
How: Updated through the git/Gerrit review process.

Where: http://launchpad.net/openstackbook
What: docs.openstack.org Ubuntu release-based OpenStack Starter Guide for
Natty (Cactus), Oneiric (Diablo), Precise (Essex) soon to be completed
How: Updated through bzr/Launchpad merge processes.

Where:
http://www.hastexo.com/resources/docs/installing-openstack-essex-4-ubuntu-1204-precise-pangolin
What: 12.04 Quick Start from Hastexo. It's a great doc, but I think it
could receive even more attention and updates if it were in the OpenStack
docs umbrella, so I'm talking to the authors about submitting it.

Who:
Deployers of OpenStack clouds (public and private), proof-of-concept
creators

__API info__
Where:
http://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals
http://github.com/openstack/object-api
http://github.com/openstack/compute-api
http://github.com/openstack/netconn-api
http://github.com/openstack/identity-api
http://github.com/openstack/image-api
What:
openstack-manuals contains:
- docs.openstack.org
  - API Quick Start
  - Compute API Programmer’s Guide
- api.openstack.org
  - OpenStack Compute extensions

Separate repos contain:
 (pointed to from docs.openstack.org/api)
- OpenStack Compute API Dev Guide
- OpenStack Object Storage API Dev Guide
- OpenStack Image API Dev Guide
- OpenStack Identity API Dev Guide
- OpenStack Quantum API Dev Guide

Note: In making this listing I realized that Melange has an API spec at
https://github.com/openstack/melange/blob/master/doc/source/apidoc.rst.
Their latest commit says they make it so it builds to rtfd.org but I can't
find it on that site. Note sent to Dan and Troy.

Who: API programmers, Python developers
How: Updated through the git/Gerrit review process.

__Wiki__
Where: http://wiki.openstack.org
What: Release notes, project status and process information, very little
how-to
Who: Contributors to the OpenStack projects

__Developer info__
Where: http://github.com/openstack/nova/
http://github.com/openstack/swift/
http://github.com/openstack/keystone/
http://github.com/openstack/glance/
http://github.com/openstack/horizon/
http://github.com/openstack/openstack-ci/

What:
http://nova.openstack.org
http://swift.openstack.org
http://keystone.openstack.org
http://glance.openstack.org
http://horizon.openstack.org
http://ci.openstack.org

__Main website__
Where: Silverstripe CMS with a few people with logins
What: openstack.org and all pages in it
Who: People who want to learn about OpenStack, community members, company
members

__Related websites__
Where: http://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack
What: http://devstack.org

Where: not sure, probably Silverstripe CMS with a few people with logins
What: http://trystack.org
Who: People who want to learn about OpenStack, community members, company
members

__Third party blogs and websites__
Where: The Internet
What: How-to and conceptual information about OpenStack
Who: Bloggers
How: I tend to link to good how-to information from bloggers at
http://wiki.openstack.org/BloggersTips. Better curation methods would be
great. I also contact bloggers directly and work with them to bring in CC
licensed content to openstack-manuals.

Yes, this is a long list. Yes, this is the Internet. Yes, I have ideas for
how to manage all this content, and I'd welcome yours as well.

Thanks for reading this far! Join us at the Summit to discuss in person.
Anne

Follow ups