Re: Agreeing a common set of Image Properties

On 04/08/2012 02:25 AM, Justin Santa Barbara wrote:
> Thanks Padraig & Nathanael - virt-inspector is a great source of inspiration.  Can we put the virt-inspector output into a glance property?  Would all the clouds agree to do that?
>
> I still would also like simpler metadata, as it just feels like too much information and work required for what is a comparatively simple use case ("launch the official Debian Squeeze image" either "the latest one" or "a known revision").
>
> Most importantly, I would like to see a solution to this now, rather than with the next release... If we agree these attributes now, we won't have to solve the unification problem in 6 months.
>
> Padraig: Can you explain the issue with "updated_through"?  I would have thought that would define a unique set of package versions (if I'm using the standard repos)?  I expect that most people will either want to pick the oldest image (with a particular minor vision) or the newest image (with the greatest minor version), so it might be that this simply doesn't matter other than to define an ordering.  It might also be that the creation date is adequate here.

Well "base" + "updated_through" _may_ well define the contents.
Though I'd be worried that depending on config only some
available updates are applied (like only security updates etc.).
It might be worth recording though, especially if the "last update"
date could generally be inspected.

cheers,
Pádraig.