Re: mock, mox, stubs, fakes, etc

mox and mock are two competing Python libraries for defining mock objects for unit tests. I think they're basically equivalent in terms of what you can do with them, but they use different styles: In mox the assertions are written before the code under test, and in mock the assertions are written after the code under test.

I personally think mock is more Pythonic, and it's what I use on other projects. Mox is a port of a Java library, and mock was (AFAIK) written specifically for Python. Also, Mock has been accepted into the Python 3.3(?) standard library as a submodule of unit tests. However, mox has been the main mocking library used in Nova unit test for as long as I have been familiar with the code.

Take care,

Lorin
--
Lorin Hochstein