Re: Just JSON, and extensibility

Hi Mark,

> However, I question whether it's even being used in this fashion. Looking
> at our docs for Nova <
> http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-compute/2/content/>, the schema
> isn't locatable, and the XML Namespace <
> http://docs.openstack.org/compute/api/v1.1> is a 404. How are they
> finding the schema, and how is it getting into these tools?

The schema is available at
http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-compute/2/xsd/

I am told that we don't need to redirect to the XML Namespace as it is just
a string not an actual URL. If you disagree, please log a doc bug at
http://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/ and tag it with compute-api
with specifics about how you think it should work on the docs site.

I'm not talking about *removing* XML from the current APIs that ship it,
> BTW; at most I'd like to see us:
>
> 1. Not require XML for new APIs, and
> 2. Talk about deprecating XML support in current ones (i.e., still support
> it, but de-emphasise it in documentation, don't expend new effort on it),
> and
> 3. Put some considered caveats around our current use of WADL and XML
> Schema.

One additional comment about WADL - basically one of those caveats. We had
little community traction documenting Compute API extensions with various
templates. A working solution now is to add extensions to
api.openstack.orgusing WADL and JSON samples. It's one of those
examples of elbow grease and
a small group adding great value. Next week I'll be doing a "Show-N-Tell"
of the api.openstack.org site first thing Monday morning as well as on a
panel about TryStack Thursday afternoon and would love feedback.

Thanks,
Anne