Re: Canonical AWSOME

So if what u are talking about is anything RPC/MQ based, then I would say those are not internal API's.

Once a RPC/MQ mechanism is introduced they don't really become internal API's anymore (if we are talking about the same API's, haha).

Since other stuff can be reading those messages on the MQ its very useful to have a schema to know exactly what to read :-)

On 4/24/12 11:46 AM, "Russell Bryant" <rbryant@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 04/24/2012 01:25 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> I'm more in favor of just having a schema, I don't care if that compiles
> to protocol buffers, json, NEWAWESOMEhipsterMSGFORMAT.
>
> That schema will force people to think a little more when they add
> messages, and it will automatically document the messages that are being
> sent around.
>
> That's a big win I think and is a step to getting those schemas
> versioned...

I'm not sure a schema is really necessary aside from the Python classes
themselves.  They're internal APIs, so they shouldn't be used from
outside of Nova.  A schema would be useful if we had to define the
interfaces in some language neutral-format, but I don't think that
really matters here.

I'm going to work on a proposal / prototype for how we can handle
versioning, though.  The big goal here is making sure that we can
maintain compatibility with the previous release.

--
Russell Bryant