Re: db & notification support for API extension?

On 4/25/12 4:48 PM, Nathanael Burton wrote:
On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Andrew Bogott<abogott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
    I'm working on an API and implementation to support the creation of
filesystems that are shared among Nova instances.

http://wiki.openstack.org/SharedFS

    My hope is to keep this API isolated from core Nova code, partly to avoid
stepping on toes and partly because I hope to be able to drop it into an
existing essex install.  There are two things I need which I know how to do
within Nova but am not clear on how to do without modding Nova code:

1)  DB support

    I need a database table to keep track of some filesystem metadata.  My
current implementation adds the table via nova/db/sqlalchemy/migrate_repo...
but is it really necessary to coordinate this table with the rest of Nova?
  Would it be reasonable to maintain the table independently within the
extension code?  And, if so, are there any existing extensions that do
something like this?
Have you determined a cleaner way of doing this?  I have the same
issues as you when writing API extensions.
Nate --

The short answer is: I'm sure that it's straightforward to create a 'private' table which doesn't collide with existing nova tables, but I have yet to do so.

The longer answer is: Everything about that thread is now rolled into the topic of 'the plugin framework' which we discussed at the design summit and which I'm currently devoted to. Please consider adding your use cases to the wiki page at http://wiki.openstack.org/novaplugin, and let me know if you would like me to add you to the list of people I cc: when looking for opinions and/or reporting progress.

-Andrew