Re: database migration cleanup

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012, Dan Prince <dprince@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The primary benefit here is it is simply less code to maintain:
>
> The old migrations scripts for Essex are around 6200 lines of code.
>
> The new compacted migration for Essex is around 950 lines of code.

It seems like you're counting raw lines, which isn't a very useful
number.

I don't think anyone will worry about maintaining the copyright header
in each file for instance.

> The primary benefit here is just cleaning up our code base. If that
> isn't a good reason or if you'd rather keep the 82 Essex migrations
> in the code base for the long term please feel free to comment
> accordingly on the merge proposal.

Ultimately, experience with sqlalchemy-migrate leaves me scared that
making non-obvious changes will result in even more non-obvious
behavior.

For instance, your change deletes all of the mysql and sqlite specific
.sql files with no replacement. Do we know for sure that it will result
in identical migrations?

I don't think I'd have a problem with this sort of migration merge if it
was using some other code that I could trust more or we had more
extensive tests to ensure this change was safe.

JE