Re: OpenStack Client Followup

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As of my recent patch, --help is contextual in nova:

I hadn't seen that yet...

> and I have started work on some of the other commands too, so it would
> be helpful if we could reach a consensus on this soon ... although
> please let me know if I am wasting my time working on other commands
> due to any imminent rewrites using python-openstack!

The continued existence of the project-specific commands is really up
to the projects themselves.  I think it would be great to converge
them on things like this, but trying to get them all to work the same
is what led us to openstackclient due to backward compatibility and
all.  My guess would be that the existing client binaries would live
through the 'G' release even if we decided to deprecate them now.

> I agree with Dolph - there is a precedent from other well-known
> programs (git, hg, svn are the first ones I can think of) for --help
> to behave differently depending on whether or not it was preceded by a
> subcommand.  So my vote is that we should definitely aim to adhere to
> this pattern.

How about detailing it in the HIG and once we get a command or two
implemented with argument parsing we give it a shot?

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer@xxxxxxxxx