Re: Has anyone tested Juju with 12.04 Essex installation?

On 05/03/2012 06:25 PM, Jorge Luiz Corrêa wrote:
Hi!

2) Pointing the host running juju to use the dnsmasq from nova-network is a solution. It's working. From where is it recommended to run juju? From an external host? The problem is that when I run juju it tries to connect to a name like server-12, server-13 … these names just make sense inside the cloud. So, for that, I presume juju must be ran from a host inside the cloud. Or not? Making automatic assign of floating ip makes juju connect to the external IP?

This would work if it can be assumed that the Juju client is on the same internal network as the instances. In most cases, the user of the Juju client will be issuing the commands from her laptop outside of the cloud (imagine EC2, against which the initial Juju work flow was developed). Juju uses boto to call the EC2 API and find out the details of instances running in its environments. A call to 'juju ssh 0' or 'juju mysql/0' translates to a call to describe-instances, and an attempt to ssh to the public hostname of the instance described. As I said, by default, new nova instances have the private, internal hostname (or IP), associated with the instance in both the public and private hostname fields. It's not until you associate a public floating IP that Juju knows how to access the instance from outside the cloud. So, for the typical use case of an outside consumer of Juju and your cloud wanting to contact instances, the 'auto_assign_floating_ip' flag should be set. If you're running Juju as a client from within instances, you can skip this and have Juju address the instances directly at their private hostname (with the dns redireting) but this is not the typical use case (so far)

HTH,
Adam