Re: Mailing-list split

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Duncan McGreggor <duncan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Monty Taylor <mordred@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hey everyone!
>>
>> On 04/27/2012 05:04 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>>
>>> To avoid Launchpad list slowness, we would run the new openstack-dev
>>> list off lists.openstack.org. Given the potential hassle of dealing with
>>> spam and delivery issues on mission-critical MLs, we are looking into
>>> the possibility of outsourcing the maintenance of lists.openstack.org to
>>> a group with established expertise running mailman instances. Please let
>>> us know ASAP if you could offer such services. We are not married to
>>> mailman either -- if an alternative service offers good performance and
>>> better integration (like OpenID-based subscription to integrate with our
>>> SSO), we would definitely consider it.
>>
>> Just to be clear - I definitely think that mailing lists are an
>> important part of dev infrastructure and would love for this to be a
>> fully integrated part of all of the rest of our tools. However, the
>> current set of active infrastructure team members have huge todo lists
>> at the moment. So the biggest home run from my perspective would be if
>> someone out there had time or resources and wanted to join us on the
>> infra team to manage this on our existing resources (turns out we have
>> plenty of servers for running this, and even a decent amount of
>> expertise, just missing manpower). The existing team would be more than
>> happy to be involved, and it would help avoid get-hit-by-a-truck issues.
>> We're a pretty friendly bunch, I promise.
>>
>> Any takers? Anybody want to pony up somebody with some bandwidth to
>> admin a mailman? Respond back here or just find us in #openstack-infra
>> and we'll get you plugged in and stuff.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Monty
>
> Count me in, Monty.
>
> I've been managing mailman lists for about 12 years now (and,
> incidentally, Barry and I are bruthas from anutha mutha), so I'd be
> quite comfortable handling those responsibilities. I can couple it
> with the python.org SIG mail list that I manage, so there'd be zero
> context switching.

Hey folks, quick update for ya...

Here are some Etherpads for this effort:
 * http://etherpad.openstack.org/openstack-dev-ml-prefixes
 * http://etherpad.openstack.org/lists-changes
 * http://etherpad.openstack.org/mailmain-install-and-notes
 * http://etherpad.openstack.org/mailmain-migration-notes

Mailman is installed, with the site-wide "mailman" list set up.

James Blair has been working on the Exim set up, and I'll be following
up on his changes when I get some time this weekend.

It would be great to migrate our old mail list data:
 * from the old host to the new one
 * from LP archives (don't know if that's possible)

Some of us know folks who maintain launchpad (and mailman, for that
matter), so we'll be reaching out to folks at Canonical to see what we
can do here.

James Blair also has a good plan for DNS, setting a hostname set up
for testing, and then rolling over once we're ready to go live.

ttx had some good input on making sure the list description had the
necessary info about tagging subjects in list emails. Stef had some
ideas about customizing the look and feel. That's all in the notes
linked above.

There have been other conversations in various places, and I'll gather
those up and send out another email.

More soon,