Re: Third Party APIs

Vish wrote on 05/17/2012 02:18:19 PM:
> 3 Feature Branch in Core
>
> We are doing some work to support Feature and Subsystem branches in
> our CI system. 3rd party apis could live in a feature branch so that
> they can be tested using our CI infrastructure. This is very similar
> to the above solution, and gives us a temporary place to do
> development until the internal apis are more stable. Changes to
> internal apis and 3rd party apis could be done concurrently in the
> branch and tested.

can you elaborate on this last sentence?  When you say "changes to
internal
apis" do you mean "in general" or only when in the context of those
3rd party APIs needing a change?  I can't see the core developers wanting
to do internal API changes in a 3rd party api branch.  I would expect
3rd party api branches to mainly include just stuff that sits on top of
the internal APIs and (hopefully very few) internal API tweaks.
Which to me means that these 3rd party API branches should be continually
rebased off of the trunk to catch breaking changes immediately.

If I understand it correctly, of those options, I like option 3 because
then the CI stuff will detect breakages in the 3rd party APIs right away
and not until some later date when it'll be harder to fix (or undo) those
internal API changes.

-Doug Davis
dug@xxxxxxxxxx