Re: [OpenStack][Nova] deference between live-migration and migrate

On 5/31/2012 2:10 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:

On May 25, 2012, at 2:36 AM, John Garbutt wrote:

I have been meaning to draft a blueprint around this.
What we have today:
·Migrate: move a VM from one server to another, reboots across the move (I think) and destination is picked by scheduler ·LiveMigration: move a VM form one server to another, VM doesn't appear to reboot, need to specify the destination I propose we extent the Migrate API (thinking about nova CLI here really) to include:
·Optional Flag to force non-live migration, default to live migration
·Optional destination host, by default let the scheduler choose
·Deprecate the existing live migration API and CLI calls
What do people think?

+1

Keep in mind that we actually have three options:

live migration on shared storage
live migration without shared storage (block migration)
resize/migrate

Yun actually suggested that resize/migrate be simplified to do the following instead of scping the file over:

 * snapshot to glance
 * boot new image from snapshot

This would definitely simplify the code, unfortunately it could have billing/metering repercussions.

Vish

I don't think it is documented that you need to set up ssh with credentials between compute nodes to make resize and block migration work. I also heard something about there being a more secure way to do this than setting up ssh in this way. What is the "officially recommended" way to configure compute nodes for these operations?

 -David