Re: Quotas... 1 of 1 instances? What's the deal?

On 06/04/2012 05:43 PM, Kevin L. Mitchell wrote:
One thing to check is the total quotas on memory and disk, relative to
the size of the instance.  The original code computes a maximum number
of instances based on those values; my new code simply tries to emulate
that computation.  (I'm pretty sure I got it right, but honestly quotas
needs further rototillings…)

Total is 24G and 12 cores available on box, so no probs there...

When I check the DB, though, I've seeing the following:

mysql>  select project_id, in_use, reserved, until_refresh from
quota_usages where resource = 'instances';
+----------------------------------+--------+----------+---------------+
| project_id                       | in_use | reserved | until_refresh |
+----------------------------------+--------+----------+---------------+
| 287a92da0cf14a27a43c8737417b029d |      0 |       10 |          NULL |
| f0c72dea9fda459aac64de460300e1ec |      0 |        2 |          NULL |
+----------------------------------+--------+----------+---------------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Hmmm…when quiesced, you should only see reservations if instances are
actively building.  (In fact, reservations should be committed as soon
as the instances are created in the database.)  It's possible that I
missed places where instances are created, but I thought I got them all…

OK, so I checked again this morning and I'm still seeing the project beginning with 287 above (the demo tenant) having 10 reserved, no in_use, and a NULL until_refresh column. When is this quiescience point supposed to come?

When I check the instances table for that project_id, look what pops up:

mysql> select vm_state, task_state, count(*) as num from instances where project_id = '287a92da0cf14a27a43c8737417b029d' group by vm_state, task_state;
+----------+------------+-----+
| vm_state | task_state | num |
+----------+------------+-----+
| building | scheduling |   5 |
| deleted  | NULL       |  68 |
+----------+------------+-----+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Unfortunately, when logged into the Horizon control panel for the Demo project, the Instances and Volumes tab shows absolutely nothing.

When doing a nova list, here's what pops up:

jpipes@uberbox:~/repos/tempest$ nova list
| ID | Name | Status | Networks |

I'm restarting my devstack + tempest runs with SCREEN_LOGDIR set so I can track what's happening in the scheduler to leave the instances in scheduling state. But clearly, something is haywire with either:

* The error handling in how quotas are calculated (since by the DB, there are only 5 out of the 10 quota-limited instances known to be "scheduling" * The reservation system is not freeing up resources after some amount of time? Is there a configuration option for setting the expiration time for reservations?

Best,
-jay