Re: request and transaction IDs across all projects

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Gabe Westmaas <gabe.westmaas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> In nova we use a request ID to to help in finding all logs associated with
> a particular request, and this has proven to be extremely useful when
> debugging issues.  This should be taken a bit further, in two different
> directions.
>
> First, I'd like to see the request ID stored along with the any faults
> that are registered, and I'd like to see that request ID returned in the
> fault data.  Returning it in the fault data can start as an extension for
> now, and that should be able to move forward into the API pretty easily.
>
> Second, I'd like to figure out how we can extend this concept to all the
> openstack services.  I see two competing desires here.  First, we want to
> know about a particular request to a given service and second we want to
> know about an overall transaction across all services.  So, for example, a
> single create server request may cause multiple requests to glance, and
> depending on the issue, it would be great to both tie those together or
> investigate separately.  To this end, I'd like to see both a request ID
> and a transaction ID.  I'd like to see both these items in log, and I'd
> like all OpenStack services to obey the rule that if the transaction ID is
> set, don't reset it to anything else, but always add a request ID.
>
> Thoughts?  Do you buy the need for both a request ID and a transaction ID?
> I think the biggest change would be for swift, which already has a tx-
> header that gets set randomly no matter what (if that middleware is
> enabled).  I can make blueprints for both the points above if yes.
>
> I'd love to get request IDs into glance, melange and quantum (maybe
> already there?) in particular as quickly as possible.

Hi Gabe,

I'm definitely in support of an ID that could help tie together both
requests within a service, and requests between services (e.g., when Nova
contacts Quantum to create a port when a VM is provisioned).

Dan