Re: glance_api_servers vs. glance_host vs. keystone?

On Mon, 2012-06-18 at 10:41 -0400, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> That sounds crazy to me, but I just got here.  That is, why go to the
> effort to develop an endpoint registration service and then decide not
> to use it?  Given the asynchronous, distributed nature of OpenStack,
> an endpoint directory seems like a good idea.
>
> Just out of question, what *does* use the endpoint registry in
> KeyStone (in the Essex release)?

The clients.  The endpoint registration system, so far as I understand,
was primarily intended for use by the clients.  It certainly would be
useful for use by the servers, but there are subtleties, and I am not
aware that it is currently used by nova->glance.  But yet again, I have
not looked at that code for a while; last time I was there, I was adding
the initial support for nova to feed the user's credentials into glance;
that was pre-Diablo, if I recall correctly.

Nova, glance, keystone, etc. are all moving targets; there are tons of
things that have only been added recently in the grand scheme of things,
and there are many loose ends still to be tied.  As an example, while I
was rototilling the quotas system in nova, new quotas were added that
changed the requirements I was working from, and since I was running up
against deadlines, I had to leave some of those ends untied for now;
there's no telling when I'll be able to get back to those loose ends and
finally tie them up.  I would not be surprised if something similar has
happened WRT the endpoints system, since there are so many subtleties
that need to be taken into account.
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <kevin.mitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>