Re: Performance metrics

On 06/20/2012 08:09 PM, Huang Zhiteng wrote:
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Rick Jones<rick.jones2@xxxxxx>  wrote:
I do not have numbers I can share, but do have an interest in discussing
methodology for evaluating "scaling"  particularly as regards to
"networking."  My initial thoughts are simply starting with what I have done
for "network scaling"  on SMP systems (as vaguely instantiated in the likes
of the runemomniaggdemo.sh script under
http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf2/trunk/doc/examples/ ) though expanding
it by adding more and more VMs/hypervisors etc as one goes.

By 'network scaling', do you mean the aggregated throughput
(bandwidth, packets/sec) of the entire cloud (or part of it)? I think
picking up 'netperf' as micro benchmark is just 1st step, there's more
work needs to be done.

Indeed. A great deal more.

For OpenStack network, there's 'inter-cloud' and
'cloud-to-external-world' throughput.  If we care about the
performance for end user, then reason numbers (for network scaling)
should be captured inside VM instances.  For example, spawn 1,000 VM
instances across cloud, then pair them to do 'netperf' tests in
order to measure 'inter-cloud' network throughput.

That would certainly be an interesting test yes.

rick jones