Noob question about api client access

Hi All,

I have a shiny new install of openstack and from the controller node
(the one with keystone, glance, horizon and all the nova pieces) I can
run everything as I expect using the "nova" cli tools upload images
boot instances manage the network, etc.  I can also use the Horizon
wed interface from remote systems just fine (of course all the actual
commands are run locally on the controller)

Where it get weird is when I try to use the "nova" cli on a remote
client.  Using the same "openrc" to set up the environment "nova
credentials" returns the expected result but all the other commands
I've tried (mostly of the "list" variety) fail like this:

$ nova list
ERROR: n/a (HTTP 400)

The install is Essex on Ubuntu Precise which I deployed using the
Puppet OpenStack module.  The example config puppet deployed for me
was only listening on 127.0.0.1 so I had to change the "bind_host" in
/etc/keystone/keystone.conf from 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0 to get the 'nova
credentials' to run.  I've been sifting through the "OpenStack Compute
Starter Guide" and greping for and replacing references to localhost
or 127.0.0.1 in the various configs I alsoe tried adding
"--allow_admin_api=true" to the nova.conf which was in the openstack
docs but not in my conf,  but I'm clearly still missing something.

Hopefully this is obvious to some one more familiar with all the pieces?

Thanks,
-Jon

Follow ups