glance access error from remote client

Hello,

I have an Essex install of openstack on RHEL6. The controller node has all openstack services running, and there
are several separate compute nodes.  Now I have a problem using glance.

If I issue "glance index --host=XXX --port=9292" on the controller node, it works fine.

If I issue the same command from a remote client node, where I have all the relevant openstack rpms installed, it
fails with the following error message:

Failed to show index. Got error:
There was an error connecting to a server
Details: [Errno 111] Connection refused

On the same client node, I can query images and instances using euca2ools, they just work fine. And I also can telnet
to the 9292 port on the controller node from the client side.

In both cases, I use the credentials of the admin account.

Any wisdom on what could cause this problem?

Thanks,
Xin