Re: Hashing image files

On 03/07/12 02:33, Alexey Ababilov wrote:
> Hi, Michael!
>
> I am curious to know: is it necessary for nova to save images in file
> which names are sha1 hashes from image IDs (UUIDs)?
>
> Nova saves root image under its sha1 hash:
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/virt/libvirt/connection.py#L1214
> but it saves kernel and ramdisk under their original IDs:
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/virt/libvirt/connection.py#L1199
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/virt/libvirt/connection.py#L1206
>
> Is it a security measure?

That code pre-dates my involvement with openstack. I'm not really sure
why the hash is used, given its the hash of the id not of the contents
of the file.

We could rework all that code if you wanted, but it would be the third
or fourth rewrite in two releases, so I feel a little like we should let
it sit for a bit before changing it again.

Cheers,
Mikal