Re: Gerrit/Jenkins Integration - Jenkins messages

Scott Lavender <slavender@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Does anyone know how to suppress the build started messages from Jenkins?
> We have three gate jobs that are triggered by uploads to Gerrit. The
> Gerrit change-set receives a single start message for each Jenkins job, and
> a single message reporting the results of all three. This is a total of 4
> messages. I noticed that the OpenStack Gerrit server only displays the
> final summary message.
>
> Is this a configuration on the Jenkins or Gerrit side of the integration?
> How is this accomplished?
>
> Thanks.....

So a while back there were some complaints [1] that you couldn't easily
see where in the approval/verification workflow a change was.
Essentially, Jenkins would leave a -2 for a change, and the review table
would looklike:

        V  R  A
Jenkins X
Monty      +2
Thierry       +2

And then Thierry would reapprove it, because it was a transient error,
and the table would look like this while the change is being tested:

        V  R  A
Jenkins X
Monty      +2
Thierry       +2

So you couldn't easily tell that Thierry had done that.  So we started
clearing the Jenkins vote as soon as the build starts.  This makes the
current state of the change immediately obvious.  Unfortunately, it
generates an email, even if we don't leave any text and only set the
approval.  Since there's going to be an email anyway, I figured it ought
to at least tell you what's going on.  So the email, and the text in it,
are just a side effect of the vote clearing, which I think is very
useful.

Unfortunately, our choices are:

1) Vote clearing with email notification  [status quo]
2) No vote clearing (and no email)
3) Patch Gerrit to make sending an email optional when leaving a review

(I get so much Gerrit email, I have mail filters for it anyway.)

-Jim

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-ci/+bug/1012730