Re: Fwd: [Quantum] Public Network spec proposal

On 07/12/2012 06:39 PM, Salvatore Orlando wrote:
Thank you again for your feedback.

On the discussion about two or three-way logic, I understand Yong's point of being able to fetch public and private networks in one call, but I also I agree with Endre that using a boolean flag for something which is actually Yes/No/Whatever sounds confusing and is different by what the Openstack CLI usually does.

Hence, if we have a large agreement on the need of being able to specify whether we want public networks, private networks or both, I'd go for the approach #3 in the design proposal, as suggested by Gary, and the CLI option would became something like --network_type={public|private|both}.

On the agent issue raised by Gary - I'm afraid I don't understand. Gary, could you please elaborate more?

The current implementation of the open source agents makes use of one network interface with the network isolation being done by vlan tagging. It may be required that a agent can connect to a public non secure network and a private secure network. The first layer of network isolation may be done by the physical network interfaces. The API that you are proposing enables the quantum service to provide the support, but what about the agents? Will the agents be able to differentiate between a private and public network. Taking this further will the agents be able to assign these networks to different network interfaces. Maybe it is not in the scope of the work that you are proposing.

Thanks
Gary

Regards,
Salvatore