Re: VM High Availability and Floating IP

On 24/07/12 12:12 -0700, Steven Dake wrote:
On 07/24/2012 10:08 AM, Alessandro Tagliapietra wrote:
But i don't see any part (except the future plans) talking about HA at instance level, that seems more to an application level

Currently heat's healthchecking is application only, but we do intend to
improve instance healthchecking in v6.  We are currently in our v5
development which concludes on July 30th.  We have 4-5 week development
windows.  I'll make certain vm healthchecking is solid for v6 around
August.  However, we may be able to fit into v5 - I'll have to check
with the main author of the HA feature (Angus Salkeld).

I have just added a template demonstating an instance sending
healthchecks and getting restarted if it fails to send a healthcheck
within a specified period.

https://github.com/heat-api/heat/blob/master/templates/WordPress_Single_Instance_With_IHA.template

(just to give you another option).

-Angus

The HA feature HOWTO is described a bit here:

https://github.com/heat-api/heat/wiki/Using-HA

An example HA application template is here:

https://github.com/heat-api/heat/blob/master/templates/WordPress_Single_Instance_With_HA.template

This template launches a wordpress cloud application.  If httpd or mysql
fail, they are restarted.  If they fail 3 times in 5 minutes, the entire
VM is restarted (this is called escalation) under the assumption that
the VM container is defective in some way.

Regards
-steve