Re: [OSSA 2012-011] Compute node filesystem injection/corruption (CVE-2012-3447)

> I think the first step is to make sure that a filesystem that the guest
> touched never gets used by the host again, not doing so is just way to
> much of a security risk.
>
> Second there are lots of options to create filesystem entirely in
> userspace with contents that can later be written to:
>
> Especially udf is a very interesting options as just about any modern
> operating system supports it. The same is true for vfat, but vfat is
> fairly limiting for many use cases.

Agreed on all points.

> Why do we ever read a filesystem touched by a guest in the host?
I believe this is more of reading filesystems that were uploaded by users into glance. However, it is essentially the same thing.

I don't think we need to do this and don't think we should do this. Clearly, however, someone somewhere, at some point, thought they wanted this.

Regards,
Eric Windisch