Re: Making the RPC backend a required configuration parameter

On 08/08/2012 05:00 PM, Andrew Clay Shafer wrote:
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Eric Windisch <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I believe that the RPC backend should no longer have any default

    Historically, it seems that the Kombu driver is default only because
    it existed before all others and before there was an abstraction.
    With multiple implementations now available, it may be time for a
    change.

    Why?
    * A default skews the attitudes and subsequent architectures toward
    a specific implementation

    * A default skews the practical testing scenarios, ensuring maturity
    of one driver over others.
    * The kombu driver does not work "out of the box", so it is no more
    reasonable as a default than impl_fake.
    * The RPC code is now in openstack-common, so addressing this later
    will only create additional technical debt.

    My proposal is that for Folsom, we introduce a "future_required"
    flag on the configuration option, "rpc_backend". This will trigger a
    WARNING message if the rpc_backend configuration value is not set.
      In Grizzly, we would make the rpc_backend variable mandatory in
    the configuration.

Regardless of the actual default in openstack-common, the devstack default is going to skew all of this as well (if not more so), and devstack does need a default. Much like db backend.

I would also assume that Packagers are going to need to set a default in their packages.

While I have no objection to this change, I'm not sure it accomplishes the goal if it just means the default is set elsewhere, and 90% of people are all running with the same implementation anyway.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
IBM Linux Technology Center