Recover data after VM crash

Hi the list,

I have an instance in inconsistent state, and I would like to recover the data stored in.

The story : I had a very high load average on the instance, so I decided to reboot it with nova reboot command. The instance didn't went up (may be root fs corruption ?), so I tried to rescue it with nova rescue command.

Now when I try to start the instance, I see in the compute log an exception message telling that kernel.rescue file is not present. Same thing if I try to unrescue (playing with state in db to allow the command).

So I'm stuck with a probably broken image, in a broken rescue state.

Questions :
- how can I rescue or unrescue the instance ?
- how can I recover the data (by mounting instance file to browse its content ?)

Thanks

Ben

Follow ups