Re: OpenStack (+ Quantum Deployment) Scenarios

Dan,

I see your point about throughput and I/O, but if you have a multi-core server, greater than say 4 cores, and thus likely you would have multiple NICs, 2 or More, your assumptions fall apart about the cpu usage and I/o. For example, using XEN or Qemu or in the older systems where this concept originated - VMS OS (from Digital Equipment Corp. - see Galaxy product and similar) you can assign affinity to CPUs or even dedicate CPU's to tasks or VM's. In addition, using Cisco networking or similar you can dedicated I/O paths, and within a system, you can even dedicated a NIC Card or Port to a path. So the deployment of OpenStack on one physical server or several should not even be a consideration except to the installer and their budget; and whether or not High Availability is a concern. What I think is important is the consistency of the network design, I/O design for multiple VM's and the related load and intended usage of the individual cores of a server. But the most important consistency is having installation guides that work over and over for installations on different hardware and OS's.

Myself, if I can get past my current nova and horizon issues, I will then be in a position to contribute in this and many other areas....

Regards,
Robert