clean up zombie instances ?

Hello,

I have to shut down some running instances from worker nodes, as the physical machine suffer disk errors. After I remove them from worker nodes, nova still thinks the instances are in "shutoff" state, although they are completely disappeared already on worker nodes. I tried "nova delete" and "euca-terminate-instance" commands, try to clean them off the list as shown from euca-describe-instances, without success. How can
I clean up these zombie instances?

I am using essex release  2012.1.1-15 on RHEL6.

Thanks,
Xin