Re: How does VMs connect to cinder created Volumes ?

Hello,

As far as I understand, the communication between a VM, running on a node,
and a volume, 'running' on another node, is carried out bu open-iscsi
(ISCSI client running on the node where you run the VM) and tgt (iSCSI
server running on the node where you host the volumes).

Cinder's daemons, in particular cinder-volume, just issue commands for tgt
to create volumes and making them available on the network.
After that, when you connect  a volume to a VM, very likely the Hypervisor
is instructed to retrieve the volume through the iSCSI client.

Anyway, I found out that:

-- the node that host the storage MUST run both tgt and cinder-volume
-- cinder-scheduler and cinder-api can be deployed on any other node
-- any compute node MUST run open-iscsi (iSCSI, client) in order to access
volumes

Hope it helps,
Marco.