What is the difference between Disk and Volume?

Hi, all~

I got a question about making instance and attaching volume.

I deployed Openstack and succeed the some tutorials.

so I launched instance at Horizon with m1.small Flavor which include 1
VCPUs, Root /disk 20GB, Total Disk 20GB, and RAM 2048M.

and also I used Ubuntu ISO image to install OS in the instance.

but I couldn't install Ubuntu in the instance because there was no
DISK.(???)

so, I tried to install Ubuntu after making and attaching volume. and it
works.

i'm just curious about why i couldn't install OS on the DISK that I made at
instance.

Do I always need to make and attach volumes to install OS?

I want to use compute nods's local storage as an instance's disk.